Home News Was she really kidnapped? The real life 'Gone Girl' story

Was she really kidnapped? The real life 'Gone Girl' story


Was it just a wild goose chase or was it really a kidnapping? According to Vallejo police, the disappearance of Denise Huskins was nothing more than a hoax.

WREG reported that police don’t believe the claims of “kidnap victim” Denise Huskins or her boyfriend Aaron Quinn that she was abducted on Monday with a demand for an $8,500 ransom.

But if left up to Quinn’s lawyers, the incident truly happened. During a press conference, lawyers Daniel Russo and Amy Morton stated that he was really drugged and bound during Huskins real abduction.

“What has been coming out makes him look like he’s somehow perpetrating a hoax and I want to make it clear to everyone that we have not seen evidence yet that this was some kind of hoax,” Russo said.

According to ABC News, Huskins resurfaced two days later in Huntington Beach, safe and unharmed. Her attorney, Doug Rappaport, has also said that the kidnapping of his client was not staged as police suggest.

Huskins met with detectives for several hours on Thursday, hoping to clear her name because “she is absolutely, unequivocally, 100 percent, positively a victim,” Rappaport said. “This is no hoax.”

Rappaport added that Huskins has been emotionally and physically broken and hurt even more by being considered a suspect. “The fact that she has been designated as a suspect only hurts her further,” he said.

The case started when Quinn called police on Monday to report his girlfriend had been kidnapped several hours earlier from his home. He claimed that he had been bound, gagged and drugged by at least two intruders. The alleged kidnappers wanted a ransom of $8,500 for Huskins’ release.

From there, things escalated with an audio clip released to the San Francisco Chronicle containing a recording of a message made allegedly in Huskins’ voice, then information was provided on the conditions of her release, and finally with her showing up two days later at her father’s apartment in Huntington Beach.

According to The Washington Post, police have had their suspicions from the very beginning of the case. Initially more than 75 people, dive teams and dogs searched the area for Huskins and found no sign of her anywhere.

Now, police are stating there is no reason to believe a kidnapping ever occurred and the primary suspects in orchestrating the hoax is Quinn and Huskins. Authorities no longer know the whereabouts of Huskins, who is communicating through her attorney.

Vallejo Police Lt. Ken Park is calling the case a “wild goose chase” that wasted department resources. “It was such an incredible story, we initially had a hard time believing it,” he said. “Upon further investigation, we couldn’t substantiate any of the things he [Quinn] was saying.”

Park said charges have yet to filed, but are still possible. The decision will be made by the district attorney once the investigation is complete.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.


  1. Lt. Ken Park and the VPD are useless. Within hours of the victim’s return, he publicly dragged the victim and the victim’s boyfriend’s name through the mud on national television.

    Weeks later, the kidnapper struck again and was caught. No apology for the public shaming and demagoguery.

    Just a glaring example of how useless this guy is. 40 detectives finding nothing, and quickly public shaming, before all the facts are in.

    Take a lesson from these guys, before you insert your own foot in your mouths.