Two drug counselors at a halfway house in Chester County died Sunday of drug overdoses, the Chester County District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.
Recovering addicts found their counselors unresponsive in two separate bedrooms at Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge in West Brandywine Township shortly after 2 p.m. Sunday. They tried to revive one counselor with a nasal spray of naloxone. When the counselor did not respond, the residents called 911.
The halfway house’s two counselors, who lived and worked at the home, were pronounced dead at the scene. Police found used needles and heroin baggies near the bodies in the bedrooms. Both people tested positive for heroin and fentanyl, according to preliminary toxicology tests.
“If anybody is wondering how bad the opioid epidemic has become, this case is a frightening example,” Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan said in a statement. “The staff members in charge of supervising recovering addicts succumbed to their own addiction and died of opioid overdoses.”
The baggies found near the bodies had Superman and skull-and-crossbones symbols on them. Hogan warned people to stay away if they see baggies with such symbols.
“They appear to be heroin laced with fentanyl and are likely to kill anybody who uses them,” he said, adding that officers have to use special precautions when handling the bags.
Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge operates out of a private home used as a halfway house for six men in a residential area of West Brandywine.
The District Attorney’s Office and the West Brandywine Township Police Department are investigating.
The fatal overdoses follow the deaths last week of an advocate for clean needle sites for heroin users in Philadelphia and the co-founder of a Bucks County drug treatment program, both from overdoses.
Visit Philly.com at www.philly.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.