Alexi Eastes and Brandon Drenon
The Indianapolis Star
Police cleared a gathered crowd near Monument Circle for about 20 minutes after a man made a bomb threat to attempt to get ahead in the entry line Saturday for a free outside concert featuring Doja Cat, Indianapolis police said.
Just before 5 p.m., a man made a threat that he had a bomb or an explosive device as the concertgoers tried to enter the concert area downtown, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Officer William Young said in an email to IndyStar.
The man is in custody, and police continue to investigate. There is no bomb or any threat to the community, Young said.
“A fan wanted to advance in line so he exercised very poor judgment and told those around him in line he had a bomb in his backpack,” Deputy Chief Joshua Barker said in a text message. “Someone did the right thing and alerted IMPD. The backpack was clean.”
Thousands of people are in Indianapolis for the College Football Playoff national championship on Monday and festivities surrounding it this weekend, including concerts downtown.
When concert organizers announced the show late last year, they said gates would open at 5 p.m. and space would be first-come, first-served.