LEO Affairs Staff:
According to a police report acquired by the Washington Post, a prisoner who shared the transport with Freddie Gray following his arrest told police that he could hear Gray “banging against the walls” and he ” was intentionally trying to injure himself.”
There are 6 important facts from the Washington Post report to consider:
1. The other prisoner was separated from Gray by a metal partition and couldn’t see him.
2. The Baltimore PD is not commenting on the story.
3. The Washington Post was given the document after guaranteeing to keep the identity of the other prisoner confidential, because he fears for his safety.
4. The statement was contained in an application for a search warrant, which is court sealed.
5. The Gray family attorneys were not aware of the statement and questioned the accuracy of the report.
6. The van transporting Gray made 3 stops. The first stop was to put Gray in leg irons because he was acting “irate”. The second stop was to check on Gray and put him back on his seat, as he was on the floor. The third stop was to add the other passenger, a 38-year-old man who was there for the rest of the 6 block ride to the Western District station.
There are unconfirmed reports from various online news outlets, including The Fourth Estate, which claim Freddie Gray recently had back surgery. The validity of that report has been disputed by the Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post, but it does raise the question of whether Gray had any pre-existing condition that could have been a contributing factor in the severing of his spinal cord. Most importantly however, it means that in any case, the public does know what happened, yet police everywhere are being demonized for yet another incident that might not have even taken place. In fact, the opposite might be true, that the officers stopped the transport multiple times to prevent Freddie Gray from injuring himself. But that goes against a national narrative put forth by media organizations like CNN and MSNBC as well as politicians as high-ranking as president himself.
If this witness statement proves to be accurate, Baltimore will be the second US city to suffer the wrath of a movement which is based on lies, knee-jerk reactions, and people profiting from the chaos.