Home News Bodycam captures 'vicious' attack on female officer

Bodycam captures 'vicious' attack on female officer


Footage has emerged of a “disgusting and vicious” attack on a woman police officer which was captured on her body camera.

Sergeant Kerry Lawrence’s head was repeatedly banged on the ground by a handcuffed suspect during the assault in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

It happened in the early hours of 6 July last year when she was responding to a report of a burglary in progress.

The video released by her force showed her attacker, Craig Radbourne, apparently drunk, in handcuffs and protesting in a squad car before he lashes out.

An unknown man is then heard calling the emergency services, saying: “We need police, ambulance, everything. Your officer is down, she’s on the floor.”

The man tried to reassure the officer and she appealed on her radio for colleagues to “hurry up”. Back-up is heard arriving minutes later.

Radbourne, 25, of Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, pleaded guilty to a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.

He was sentenced at Winchester Crown Court to three years in prison.

The video was described by Judge Susan Evans QC as “nothing short of sickening” and she added the officer was fortunate not to be more seriously hurt.

She is now back at work on full duties.

A Hampshire police spokeswoman said: “Radbourne was arrested by the officer on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly. He had been placed in handcuffs and into a police car before additional units arrived.

“However, before officers arrived, Radbourne managed to strike out at Sgt Lawrence, viciously attacking her and banging her head on the ground several times.

“He was subsequently re-arrested by other officers nearby and taken into police custody.”

Chief Inspector Simon Dodds said: “This was a disgusting attack on a member of my team, who works tirelessly to serve her community.”

Simon Hayes, police and crime commissioner for Hampshire, criticised the sentence as being lenient.

He said: “I am disappointed that Mr Radbourne has only been sentenced to three years in prison for the extremely violent assault against Sgt Kerry Lawrence. I would hope that he is made to serve the full sentence.”

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.