Home News Body-cam shows OIS after suspect attacks officer with a screwdriver

Body-cam shows OIS after suspect attacks officer with a screwdriver

772
0
SHARE


UPDATE 5/2/2020 11:20 a.m.

The San Francisco Police Department has released body-cam and surveillance video of the attack on officers.

Original:

Alejandro Serrano

San Francisco Chronicle

A 15-hour standoff that began after San Francisco police opened fire at a man with a knife on Tuesday morning ended with the man in custody and no serious injuries, police said.

The man had barricaded himself inside a building in the city’s Tenderloin neighborhood after evading officers. Late Tuesday night, San Francisco police said the man was “safely in custody.”

Officers responded to the 500 block of Jones Street around 6:30 a.m. after a report of a person with a knife, according to San Francisco police. They made contact with the man before “an officer-involved shooting occurred,” officials said.

The suspect ran into a building on the 300 block of Ellis Street and set up a barricade, police said. Officials from the department’s hostage negotiation and tactical units communicated with the man to reach a “peaceful resolution.”

More than a dozen officers — some in uniform and others in suits — cordoned off both scenes while they searched for evidence.

A medical examination indicated the suspect had not been shot but he remains hospitalized with other non-life-threatening injuries, said Officer Robert Rueca, a police spokesman. The suspect’s name is being withheld while the incident remains under investigation.

Police said they will hold a town hall meeting to discuss the officer-involved shooting within 10 days.

The incident marked the first on-duty San Francisco police shooting since December, when authorities shot and critically wounded a man in the Mission District. The suspect in that incident was accused of attacking an officer.

Department of Justice report released earlier this year found that the San Francisco Police Department’s use-of-force incidents in 2019 decreased by 24% from the prior year.

The report analyzed the second phase of the department’s reform initiative, which began in April 2016 following a series of controversial police killings, including the 2015 shooting of Mario Woods.

San Francisco Chronicle staff writer Michael Cabanatuan contributed to this story.

———

©2020 the San Francisco Chronicle

Visit the San Francisco Chronicle at www.sfchronicle.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.
-->

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here