Home News 911 caller won’t be charged in Ohio Wal-Mart police shooting

911 caller won’t be charged in Ohio Wal-Mart police shooting

124
1
SHARE


CINCINNATI — A special prosecutor says a 911 caller won’t be charged for reporting a man waving a gun in an Ohio Wal-Mart before police fatally shot him.

The decision was announced Monday by Mark Piepmeier (PEEP’-meye-ur), the same prosecutor who presented the case to a grand jury. It concluded the August 2014 shooting of 22-year-old John Crawford III at the Beavercreek store, near Dayton, was justified.

The 911 caller told investigators he thought Crawford had a real firearm, but it was actually an air rifle Crawford had picked up from the shelf.

Activists who used an obscure law to push for the caller’s prosecution were upset that Piepmeier was appointed to review the matter. They noted that Piepmeier had previously described the caller as someone “trying to be a good citizen.”

© 2016 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.

1 COMMENT

  1. The “911 caller” was an active member of the Coalition To Stop Gun Violence. They have an active stance to purposely call 911 hoping to have the law abiding gun owner killed. Murdered like Mr. Crawford was here.
    This is disgusting. Never once did the responding officers try to communicate with Mr. Crawford, they just shot him from the entry doors unannounced.
    This is NOT okay.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here