Home News 2 injured in 4th Austin bombing; likely to have utilized trip wire...

2 injured in 4th Austin bombing; likely to have utilized trip wire for detonation

800
0
SHARE


UPDATE: Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said during a news conference that was very possible that the bomb had been set off by someone “handling, kicking or coming in contact with a trip wire.”

“That changes things,” he said. “Our safety message to this point has been involving the handling of packages, and telling this community, ‘Do not handle packages, do not pick up packages, do not disturb packages.’

“We now need to have an extra level of vigilance and pay attention to any suspicious device, whether it be a package, a bag, a backpack — anything that looks out of place — and please do not approach it.”

Residents in the area where the bomb went off have been asked to shelter in place while law enforcement scours the location.

Chris Quinn
San Antonio Express-News

The Austin Police Department and Austin-Travis County EMS reported one confirmed explosion in Southwest Austin on Sunday night, days after two other blasts rocked two other neighborhoods.

Travis County EMS initially reported over Twitter at 8:45 p.m. that multiple assets were responding to an unconfirmed report of an explosion at an address that they later corrected as being the 4800 block of Dawn Song Drive.

In a following Tweet, the service confirmed the explosion and reported at least two people had been injured. Austin police also confirmed the explosion over their Twitter feed.

Preliminary information from Travis County EMS reported multiple assets responding to a second explosion in the same neighborhood, which turned out to be incorrect.

Those injured, two males in their 20s, do not have life-threatening injuries, according to Travis County EMS.

Austin police are advising residents near the incident to stay in their homes until APD says otherwise.

Interim Police Chief Bryan Manley said Sunday night a second item in the area was being investigated, a backpack, that emergency personnel were working to clear.

“Not only do not touch any packages, or anything that looks like a package, do not even go near it,” Interim Police Chief Bryan Manley said Sunday night. “Because given the darkness, we have not had an opportunity to really look at this blast site to determine what has happened.”

A string of bombings in Austin began on March 2 when a package bomb exploded, killing 39-year-old Anthony Stephan House.

Ten days later on March 12, 17-year-old Draylen Mason was killed when a package bomb exploded at his residence. His mother was also injured in that explosion. A 75-year-old woman would be injured later that day in a second explosion across town.

Earlier Sunday, Manley announced a reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever is responsible for three explosions has risen by $50,000 to a total of $115,000.

Officials believe the three bombings earlier this month are related, but Manley did not say Sunday night’s explosion is related to the earlier incidents.

He says more than 500 officers, including federal agents, have conducted 236 interviews in following up 435 leads.

More on this breaking news story as it becomes available.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

———

©2018 the San Antonio Express-News

Visit the San Antonio Express-News at www.mysanantonio.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here